Re: [OM] Image: Farm near Harmony, MN

Subject: Re: [OM] Image: Farm near Harmony, MN
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 21:49:28 -0700
On 8/8/2012 9:03 PM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012, at 05:12 PM, Moose wrote:
>> I like the composition. I wouldn't crop it, as others have suggested, if
>> only because I like the clouds on the left.
> I got off an alternative with the M-S 180/4.5 that is an "in-camera"
> crop.  It just eliminates the clouds altogether.  It's OK, but I was
> drawn to the clouds and hoped to make them work somehow.

They make it for me. Again, something about the farm in context of wide horizon
and sky.

>> Well, no, it's also something about the sweep of country that would be
>> lost. Still a nice image, but different, more
>> closed in.
>>
>> I'd probably lift the shadows and lower mid tones a little, below the
>> sky.
> You are probably assuming that I didn't do both those things?  In any
> case, not as much as you'd have done, obviously.

:-)

> I used a medium red
> filter, which has the effect of darkening the foliage, but really it was
> already quite dark in the shadows.  Not enough "there" there.  I am also
> a slave to my memory of what I saw, but I will see if I can get more
> detail in the trees.  I think I am pretty well satisfied with the sky.

I'm not sure actual visible detail is what my eyes crave, as much as relief of
big, black holes. Just a little tonal
texture would do it, I think.

I know too well the "slave to memory" thing. Someone recently suggested a
change to one of my images. I realized they it
would indeed be improved - and that relative fidelity to memory was why I
hadn't done it.

>> A couple of things slightly bugged the ol' Eagle Eye, probably only to do
>> with the web image.
>>
>> The grain in the sky has done something slightly odd with the clouds. I'm
>> not sure I dislike the effect, but it does
>> look unnatural to me.
>>
>> There's something funny going on, edges/texture/?? in the area below the
>> barn, right up to the dark brush - that
>> probably only I can see. :-)
> I think the web image is a bit over-sharpened.  I let Focus Magic
> sharpen a pixel's worth.  Might that explain it?

Indeed it might. A pixel's worth at web size would indeed be a probable cause.
One of the other deconvolution tools I
tried allows partial pixel steps. Just how they do that, I'm not sure. I always
do FM in a new layer (via an Action),
and adjust the effect with layer opacity. Only a very few images that size look
right with a full pixel.

>   Some of the time, FM is just too aggressive with web files (for my
> taste anyway).

Emphatically agreed, as above.

> Thanks very much for your comments, Moose.

Mon Plaisir Moose