Re: [OM] OM-D & lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D & lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 03:29:00 -0700
On 8/9/2012 12:55 PM, Frank Wijsmuller wrote:
> I bought the e-m5 short before my holiday, and used the 12-50mm mostly. The
> m43 9-18 and 40-150 got less use. I also had the 20mm with me but didn't
> use it that much, because it locks the e-m5 (firmware 1.1) to the point
> where you have to put the battery out and in again. From 3200 Iso there
> sometimes is a banding problem as well. Not certain that firmware 1.2
> solves both, but Olympus got some problems with upgrading to it, and for
> now you can no longer upgrade to 1.2

I upgraded to 1.2 when I got the camera. No problem, the updater app found and
installed it.

> The 12-50mm got far more use then I thought (I expected the 9-18 would be
> glued on). It is quite sharp, it focussed fast and in most cases spot on.

Yes, I've found both to be true so far.

The 12-50 is clearly the designed general purpose lens for the E-M5. I matches
in styling, very good looking combo, to
my eye. The 14-42, 14-150 and 75-300 are styled to look much like old Pen
lenses, right down to the look, if not feel,
of the zoom rings. The 12-50 and the 40-150 R drop the Pen/OM retro silver at
the back and have matching, new style zoom
rings. I guess the 40-150 R is simply a restyle of the non 'R' version, to
match the E-M5.

The other way the 12-50 is a match to the E-M5 is in weather sealing, so that
as a pair, they are highly sealed.
Somewhere, I read of a guy who is taking shallow underwater pics without a
housing.

> Of course it is a slow lens, but the high ISO capabilities of the e-m5 make
> that less of a problem.

Yes, indeed.

> I liked the handling too, although the zoom is 'by wire',

That's not true. Focus is 'by wire', but zoom is mechanical. With camera off or
lens off camera, turn the zoom ring. I
can feel the mechanism moving and movement of glass inside.

> I think it is implemented really well. A complaint could be that the
> zoom ring easily slips to the video zoom option, causing some unexpected
> zoom delay so sometimes slowing the shot.

Yes, it is too easy. But I haven't lost a shot as yet.

> So I think that it should be on the must have list of every e-m5 owner,

I agree. The kit with 12-50 is the way to start. This even though I expect the
14-150 to me my most used lens.

> since it has so much added benefits (sealed, macro) for not so much money
> (€200, $300)

Exactly. I was thinking of how often I've taken a chance, put on a plastic
cover, or just left the shots, where
E-M5/12-50 would be perfect.

So far, I'm blown away by the macro mode. I've not tried it for flat field, but
for natural, 3D subjects, it's amazing.
It's a fixed 43 mm focal length, f6 macro lens. If that seems slow, remember
that most macro is done at smaller
apertures, and the electronic viewing make speed for viewing and focusing
unimportant. 43 mm ~= 86 mm for FF, so it's
right in with many famous macro lenses.

Lens O. Moose