[OM] [OT] Home automation/security questions

Subject: [OM] [OT] Home automation/security questions
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:51:52 -0400 (EDT)
SG writes:
>A simple example: my ISY at the house in Mexico turns on porch lights
based
>on "sunset + 15 minutes" rather than simply "at sunset". More complex:
The
>sprinklers for the plantings there turn on for a frequency and duration
>using different programs that I enable/disable based on time of year,
and
>whether the sprinklers are in front of the house (shaded, cool, eastern
>exposure) or the back (very sunny, hot, western exposure).

Wow, never know what one can learn on the list.  Some of my orchids are
kept in tanks
with T5 or other lights and  many require variable day length to throw
a flower spike.
I have them on timers that I tweak by hand every month or so.  I could
lie to the controller
about the location to have adequate day length as I believe it would be
best to vary
light period from about 10 hours to about  15 hours in summer depending
on the plant.
I would like to start them at the same time each day though so I have
the light on early in AM so
I can spritz the Phrags on way to work as they require daily H2O.  I
have about
10 bucks invested in standard timers.  I wonder what the minimum
requirement would be with one of these systems to do what I want?
I hope the ISY isn't the only answer as the price of admission for this
task is steep.

No longer wish to be,  Manual Mike