[OM] Moose Madness [was OM-D & lenses]

Subject: [OM] Moose Madness [was OM-D & lenses]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:22:28 -0700
Ah well. I was contemplating a SWA zoom, MZ 9-18? Panny 7-14?

As I thought back over shooting for the enjoyment and frustrations of the past,
especially the past year, I realized
that, much as I like the Canon 10-22 (16-35, FF eq.) for WA, I really, really
enjoyed the extra reach the 60D gave with
28-300 lens, taking it out to 480 mm eq.

Nosing around, I found Cameta selling Oly reconditioned 75-300s, with a Cameta
one year warranty added to Oly's 90 days,
for $210 less than new.

One arrived Chez Moose yesterday early afternoon. Other than packaging, I can't
tell it from new. These samples reflect
a relatively limited viewpoint, bees a and flowers, flanked by a bird on a wire
and a spiderweb.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/OM-D_E-M5_First_Images/M.Zuiko_75-300>

Why limited?
It's what I can see from my lounger.
The long end is what I mostly bought it for, and where long zooms typically get
soft.
Flowers and bees, 'cause that's what was there. The hummer didn't stop by, as
it sometimes does.

Still ... 600 mm eq. is fun and useful. Not what the 12-50 in macro mode
wouldn't do better with the close-ups - BUT -
the pink pincushion flower with bee was shot at a distance of about 12 feet.
Now that's close-up working distance!!
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/OM-D_E-M5_First_Images/M.Zuiko_75-300&image=_8090283fpoofm.jpg>

Like every other long lens I've used on digital, the images are a little soft
looking right out of the camera, with
slightly low local contrast, but respond rather nicely to a bit of
deconvolution and LCE.

I shot mostly at f8. Where I hit the focal plane just right, and the subject
was right, the DOF was fine.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/OM-D_E-M5_First_Images/M.Zuiko_75-300&image=_8090278fpoofm.jpg>
But I'm obviously going to need to stop down more for some subjects, if I'm
cropping.

µ4/3 really lives up to its promise of smaller size and weight with longer
lenses!
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Misc/IMG_0486-7.htm>

The M.Zuiko 1/3 stop faster at the short end, f6.4 at 250(500) mm, half a stop
slower, and goes on out to 300(600) mm.

I've made a few nice film images with the Tokina 150-500. Only a few because
it's a huge, heavy beast.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Home/Towhee.htm>

I had less luck with Tokina on the 5D. As AG has noted, some lens/DSLR combos
don't work very well. Even with lots of
time, heavy tripod, etc., my results were less than inspiring, not particularly
sharp and with an odd look/texture.

Long Reach Moose