Re: [OM] Back into the OM System

Subject: Re: [OM] Back into the OM System
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 16:28:35 +0200
Hi Moose, Frank and all,

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

>? When using a tripod, set [Image Stabilizer] to [OFF].

I however prefer to let it ON, because it helps a lot with MF on a long
tele -- yes, even on a tripod the rattle at high magnification was awful on
the GF1.

>? When using a lens with an image stabilization function, turn off

>the image stabilizer function of either the lens or the camera.

Certainly -- if both are ON, they'll cancel each other. But the in-body IS
is more efective anyway ;-)

>Almost perfect design. None of my QR plates would completely

>clear the rear screen edge. One came close, but still

>slightly got in the way of tilting up and down.

I was fortunate, the screen clears my plate by a few microns :-) but I can
flip it without problems.

>The one design flaw for me is that the QR plate so far to the left

>makes putting on a hand grip problematic. It's bound to slip in front

>or behind the body. The RRS bottom plate, although otherwise overkill

>to my mind, would be helpful if it had a strap lug on the right end, but
doesn't appear to.

???

>"? You may notice an operating sound or vibration when the image
stabilizer is activated."

>Somewhere on the web, I read that it is the IS mechanism.

>Apparently, it has to be in motion in some way or other in

>order to react quickly enough when called on.

At first glance, I discarded the IS because it made the same noise with it
disconnected... but that explanation makes sense.

>> Definitely has a very weak AA filter? I have experienced some moire in
this

<snip>

>Nice to be warned about. I haven't run into that.

This is not a flaw, but a feature to me ;-) Ditto with the M8...

>> that should be the reason for the difference between

>> the 'effective pixels' and 'sensor photo detectors' figures, no?

>No, that's because they use a thin margin around the actual image area

>for sensors that are covered, to set base points.

OK, that makes sense. Still, I'd love to see the actually implemented
algorithm... there are so many...

>The rubber right thumb rest is a HUGE advantage.

Indeed!!!

>I have both NR and Sharpening set down one notch.

Mine has NR = Off; Sharpening went to -2, now is at -1. But even at
standard settings, that coarse sharpening was actually "hiding" fine detail
:-(

>It seems to me that detail/sharpness is close to the ORFs.

It may depend on which software is used for demosaicing / RAW conversion...

>It's certainly easier to maximize in post from Raw, but the Large/Fine
JPEGs are good.

I have never trusted the 'Fine' JPEG compression on any of my cameras... my
E-M5 is set at 'Normal'. But I may need to experiment, since this model has
(deeply buried inside its extremely confugurable interface) no less than
FOUR compression levels! However, dpreview.com says the 'SuperFine' setting
is of little-to-no advantage.

>I certainly wouldn't want it to be any larger or heavier just to impress

>with apparent build quality.

Neither do I. But the GF1, which _is_ lighter, seems better built to me.
The feel of the small buttons (likely to be conditioned by the sealing) may
be the reason, though.

>The combo wired/wireless release just came. Haven't even tried

I suppose I'll end up buying one of those... and I need some extra
batteries... oh dear!

From: Frank Wijsmuller <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>

>The sound comes from the IS mechanism. From what I read, even if you don't

>use IS, it is still there to hold the sensor 'floating' on the right spot.

Still, I'm amazed at the relative loudness if the system. Are other
cameras' IBIS as noisy? (I never had such device before)

>If you switch off the camera without a lens you see the sensor 'falling'.

Yes! So that was the "shutdown-shock" I perceived... It's also fun to see
the sensor compensating for the camera movements, with the IS active!

>There is somehow less sound in video mode since not all the 'axises' are

>used with video.

But it's so much silent then... quite intriguing...

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)