[OM] IMG: Another Skipper

Subject: [OM] IMG: Another Skipper
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:08:55 -0400 (EDT)
At least in our area with "Indian summer"  followed  hard frosts
pruning in late Fall can lead to new growth that is killed off.
Flowering is from new wood and that time of pruning isn't optimal here.
 I like to prune them severely
in mid Spring after they just start growing.  Pruning too close to the
ground will hurt them but a foot or so up is fine.  Ours is already 12
ft anyway and they flower better s/p pruning with a better shape to the
plant.  Great point about dead heading but that is a tough one to find
a Round tuit with everything else to do to take care of our garden.

http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/pruning_buddleja_buddleia.htm

Nice Skipper shot, BTW.

Bud Mike