Re: [OM] OM Windex

Subject: Re: [OM] OM Windex
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:50:48 -0400
  It will make you sleepy and blow you up too. At work (hospital lab)
we use a lens cleaner from Scientific Products that I have used on
microscope lenses, binoculars and camera lenses (Zuiko, D-Zuiko and my
old Rollei 35). It works well and has caused no visible damage. Its
listed ingredients are water, acetic acid, isopropyl alcohol and
acetone. So it would seem there is a wide range of compounds and pH
ranges that can be used safely on photographic equipment.
   Eyeglasses are a different matter entirely. The UV, anti-glare
coatings are very sensitive to ammonia compounds (made that mistake
once), so forget about Windex there. I have a commercial eyeglass
cleaner that is safe but doesn't clean worth a damn. Warm water and
bar soap is fine.

Charlie