Re: [OM] OM-D List? [was --Favorite Defrag Program?]

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-D List? [was --Favorite Defrag Program?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:26:49 -0700
On 8/16/2012 6:16 AM, Joel Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012, at 07:53 PM, Moose wrote:

>> The future of the camera division may well depend on the OM-D line. ...
>>
>>> Joel (always fell asleep in econ lectures) W.
>> Got a degree in Econ, long, long ago, know very little as a result.
>> Worked in the headquarters of a huge manufacturing, distribution and
>> retail business for 31 years, know quite a lot as a
>> result.
> I did pay attention this time and it is almost interesting,

Nicely put!

> though I can't do anything with it whatsoever, so it is useless

Unlike astrophysics? There are a lot of people who find satisfaction in gaining
knowledge in areas where the knowledge
will have no practical application for them. Hawking's A Short History of Time
was a bestseller. I can't think of a
single practical use for the knowledge in it.

Lots of people find pleasure in learning how 'the world works', even in areas
of no practical use to them.

Honestly, I would never learn anything about that stuff if it hadn't come up in
the course of a career that started in a
different area. Then one day, there I was, doing all the financial projections
for a proposed international joint
venture. I'm not sure I ever did know exactly what I was doing. But we did the
deal and it was a great success.

The only reason I find it of use today is in seeing how naive, and generally
wrong-headed, the ideas of the general
public are about what makes for profit and loss, success and failure in
business, particularly large, publicly owned
businesses.

Specifically, I am often amazed at statements made here and on photo blogs
about how camera companies are doing, and
reflect total ignorance.

> , like being good at killing zombies in Halo.

Huh? Apparently an area of arcane knowledge of which I am unaware.

> This would go better over beers.  I'll buy (as I know you're a light
> drinker).

Sounds good to me. When are you visiting the Left Coast.? :-)

Cheap Drunk Moose