Re: [OM] Photography Magazines

Subject: Re: [OM] Photography Magazines
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:42:15 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I have a massive appreciation for these magazines--once they are over
>30 years old. The thing about these "advertiser controlled" magazines
>is that the glorified press releases (reviews) say much about the
>state of the industry/craft. However, with the lens of history, we
>look back at these magazines and see what worked and what didn't.

     <<SNIP>>

     My initial comment was made as I value the discussions of technique far
more than the "Geek Wars" over technology issues.  Many of the books I see are
more inclined to promote digital photography from the standpoint that the
technique of photography is secondary and the gadgetry is primary, and that a
prepoderance of gadgetry will overcome a lack of technique.

     This is not something that is entirely new.  A couple of the nature
photography books I have are obviously sponsored by Nikon as that is all the
equipment to be seen.  The books by people such as Heather Angel are far better
balanced as the focus is entirely on technique.

Chris