Re: [OM] IMG: An Occasional Flower on Friday-Jim N.

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: An Occasional Flower on Friday-Jim N.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 16:14:52 -0700
On 8/17/2012 12:00 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> There was no way I could top Sonny's red rose, so I chose pink.  This one was
> part of a planting around my neighbor, Martha's, mailbox.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Rose+41.jpg.html
>
> Olympus E-510 with Zuiko Digital 35/3.5 Macro

Not an immediate 'wow' flower, but very nicely caught. I think a good print
would have staying power. The kind that
won't grab anyone's attention suddenly, but one that would give pleasure every
time noticed.

Technically, I find this possibly the most accomplished flower image you've
posted here.

Exposure is perfect, kissing the right without losing any red highlights. Focal
plane too seems perfectly placed and
aperture ideal, to me, catching all the flower within only slightly soft edges
of DOF.

The lens is at it's best, too at this combination of subject and background
distance. A very gradual, soft roll off of
focus on the flower, front and back, is appealing. I imagine even Chuck won't
be offended by the slight softness at the
very front. And the background bokeh is very nice.

Laudatory Moose