Re: [OM] Windex NOW Air Rifles

Subject: Re: [OM] Windex NOW Air Rifles
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 19:32:53 -0700 (PDT)

John,

Is the purpose of your visit to participate in a competition?

I came to know air rifles from a Communist-made up competition.  It was
comprized of two parts:

During part one one runs a mile carrying a 22cal gun.  At the end of the run
there are five targets about 10cm in diameter, waiting to be shot at...You lay
down on the ground and slow down your heart rate as fast as you can and shoot.
The targets were of the metal type that fall down if you hit them, so one does
not need to hit the center in order to earn points.  You do loose points tho,
if you miss one.   For each miss, one runs 100m penalty lap.  If you miss all
five, that means that you run 500m in penalty...:)

The second part was very different, but similar in one aspect:  You get really
tired and out of breath, before you shoot...:)

One starts with running and jumping over 3m wall.  Then running on a beam like
the one the female gymnasts use, but 10m long, jump over a 3m puddle, crawl
under 50m of barb wire placed about 50cm above ground and throwing a grenade
through a window about 24m away.  After one completes this course, it grabs a
really, really good quality of an airgun and shoot at 3cm in diameter targets
from 10m away.  If you miss a target, there is a 100m penalty of course...:)
Everything is timed and the one who finishes fastest-wins.

We were trained by several coaches separately.  Although, I this was not my
main interest, I became friend with the air rifle coach.  Once I retired from
that competition, I continued to shoot targets with an .177 air rifle in the
basement of one of the local high schools.  At that time the Communism was
being restructured and redefined and private businessess were allowed.  That
was the business my friend had started.

Now I have a dual setup in my basement:  One for an air pistol and another for
an airsoft pistol.  The latter is a joke, but I got a gun with adjustable
sights and am able to place 8 out of 10 shots in 2cm groups from 5m away.  The
rest are just ot there, mostly even out of the target space (you cant really
achieve decent accuracy with an airsoft...)

My second setup is for a highly modified Crosman 1377, and I shoot from 10m
away.  My goal is to get 10 out of ten shots in the same hole...Theoretically,
this is possible, but the owner of the gun has not been able to achieve this
yet, admittedly, it is not the gun's fault...:)  Maybe I should scope it.

I would love to hear more about your setup, and purpose of your visit here.

Best

Boris