Re: [OM] Windex NOW Air Rifles

Subject: Re: [OM] Windex NOW Air Rifles
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 09:51:18 +0100
I loved shooting air rifles between the ages of 10 and 17 (when girls took over
. . .).  I had Webley .177 and .22 rifles which I used for plinking outside our
various houses in Aden and Tehran.  I even tried making dumdum slugs by filing
the heads of the slugs!

I think that practice with air rifles helped me with shooting accuracy with
.303 rifles at school, then with the 7.65mm SLR and Beretta weapons (and 9mm
Browning) once I joined the RAF.  I'm not sure that it had anything to do with
my prowess with air cannon, though -- the 30mm Aden (Jaguar GR1), the 27mm
Mauser (Tornado GR1 and 4) or the 20mm Vulcan (F16) ;-)

Air rifles have caused problems in the UK, it seems, and I think that it's
illegal to shoot one without a licence, but John can correct me on that.  I
suspect that they are much more powerful now than the Webleys of long ago.

Chris