Re: [OM] Back into the OM System

Subject: Re: [OM] Back into the OM System
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 20:39:12 +0200
Hi Moose and all,

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>

>I haven't tried an MF lens longer than 200 mm, and that was fine to focus
on a tripod.

I'm currently on sort-of holidays and my digital kit is the OM-D, 12-35/2.8
and two adapted lenses: Canon FD 100/2 and the old Zuiko 300/4.5 -- both
very good performers, indeed. Focusing the 300 (600mm equiv.) handheld,
even at shooting aperture (usually f/8 on bright light) is surprisingly
quick and easy… thanks to that wonderful built-in IS. With the shorter
tele, more often than not I can focus accurately with only the IS, no
enlargement! This EVF is a winner ;-)

>I like to use hand straps on (D)SLRs.

<snip>

OK, I understand now. I don't like neck straps, but I'd like to tray a
wrist strap, or one of those that fit on the tripod mount.

>> I have never trusted the 'Fine' JPEG compression on any of my cameras...
my

>> E-M5 is set at 'Normal'.

>Any particular reason for that?

Usually I can't see any difference ;-) Sometimes, however, I go for higher
settings; but since this camera is mainly for RAW shooting (unlike the
X100) this issue matters much less.

>The way JPEG compression works,

>too much really loses detail.

But the output from Bayer demosaicing, especially if a moderate sharpness
setting is used, is lacking most of the high frequency components that make
JPEG artifacts noticeable… However, when I want to go deep into the shadows
(e.g. astrophotography) quantization nay become disturbing. Once again,
based on my own empirical data for my current cameras, _most_ (but not all)
of the time the "stronger" compression won't impair IQ noticeably.

>On the 60D, I shoot Raw plus a downsized JPEG, but with Fine setting.

Of course, the above comment is valid for full-size JPEGs only -- downsized
pictures will increase those high-frequency components and will definitely
benefit from a milder compression (i.e., higher quality setting)

JPEG compression algorithms are rather indeterminate, though -- as long as
the output file is format-compliant, lots of compression techniques may be
used. Still, I haven't got the "empirical data" for this camera: shooting
the same scene at all compression settings available...

>>> The combo wired/wireless release just came. Haven't even tried

>> I suppose I'll end up buying one of those...

>I really prefer them to wired releases, much more versatile. Both kinds

>that I've uses also have a button on the receiver for non-wireless release.

I have a wired one for the GF1, hardly used… I assume yours are third
party. Do they support the half-press of the button? I've heard that some
firmware updates on the Panasonic bodies might disable third party releases
and batteries!!!

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)