Re: [OM] E-M5 in Venice

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 in Venice
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 07:48:59 -0500
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 03:32 PM, philippe.amard wrote:
> Hi Frank, I like what you are showing us a lot, I'm wondering why :-)

I had the same reaction.  I certainly enjoyed the compositions.  I
wondered about the tonality, though I did not dislike it.

> I was even surprised to see that the Oly metering system kept the shot
> within acceptable limits - my Pana L1 didn't - regarding the
> highlights - when the nikon sometimes went astray even though I had
> set the "super specific nikon developed setting" to preserve shots
> when the light differences exceed the sensor's tolerance ... Go
> figure ...
> Yet, as in your photos, the blacks seem slightly blocked on her E620
> and hard to lighten up - a good comparison can be made on the water of
> the canals, and the hulls I think. cf  Your Burano 15, and my
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/322950-1/Burano+Colours-0063.jpg

I would like to know what the gradation settings were on both the 620
and the EM-5.  Whereas I turned gradation off in my E-3, it is a feature
that seems to make the 620 really excel in capture range.  One can
always add contrast ...  I do think it probably causes the camera to err
on the side of holding highlights, pushing a trifle to the left.

Joel W.