Re: [OM] FF NEX? [was E-7? was OM-D List? [was --Favorite Defrag Program

Subject: Re: [OM] FF NEX? [was E-7? was OM-D List? [was --Favorite Defrag Program?]]
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:09:30 +0200
On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 20:16 -0500, Ken Norton wrote:

> > Then there is the simple problem of size. I believe when most people
> > casually say they would love a FF NEX, they mean -
> > if it's about the same size. That doesn't happen under any design scenario.
> > Body and lenses both have to be larger for FF.
>
> Not really. Personally, I believe the NEX-7 is too small, anyway.
> Having it grow a bit is no problem.

Ah, but the lenses for the (APS-C) NEX are already very large in
comparison to the camera (compared to, say, 35mm rangefinder lenses) and
they still suck. They suck balls. The *really* suck. Unbelievably.

(guess who played with a NEX recently...?)

I am with Moose on this one - a FF NEX does not make sense, we'll never
see it. Not even Leica can make perfect tiny lenses, but they come
closest, and at massive cost.

A 40MP FF Nex will never in a million years have small-ish lenses of
sufficient quality and earthly cost available to feed such a sensor with
such a short registration distance (angle of incidence to the corners).

The irony is, most people want FF sensors for shallower DOF, not for
higher quality. The manufacturers should just step up to the plate, and
make much larger-aperture lenses for their small-sensor cameras.

Voigtländer is the only one coming to the party (producing
f/2.0-equivalent-in-35mm lenses at f/0.95) but these are very
compromised, without even auto-aperture.

As soon as this happens, people will forget about "full-frame" in
compact cameras (leave those to the film lovers...) and be happy.

I have to say, I find the depth of field control with my Zuiko Digital
35-100 f/2.0 *more than* sufficient on a tiny quarter-area sensor, and I
am actually quite critical in this regard, as it's such a strong element
of my style.

For example:

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/231/f/7/hadeda_ibis_and_willow_by_philosomatographer-d5bnqe3.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/231/6/c/sunset_bubbles_by_philosomatographer-d5bnrtf.jpg