Re: [OM] om 24-40

Subject: Re: [OM] om 24-40
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 09:54:20 -0500
> That is a nice lens. I owned one toward the end of my regular OM
> shooting days and really liked it. It helps that 24 and 40 were always
> two of my favored focal lengths when shooting primes.

You aren't helping, Jim.

I'm stewing on it. These days, when I do shoot an event with film, I'm
using the 35-80/2.8 on one body and the 24/2.8 swapped out with the 100/2
on the other. The Tokina AT-X 100-300/4 is usually in a bag nearby. Didn't
I sell the 35-70/2.8 AT-X to you, Jim?

The AT-X series lenses really are amazing. I loved the 35-70/2.8, and find
the 100-300 to be pretty remarkable too. I've always liked the way the AT-X
series rendered the scenes. Unfortunately, it did render differently than
the Zuikos, so I usually stick with Zuikos as I prefer the Zuiko way of
drawing. But the AT-X series does very well.

I'm looking forward to an upcoming film wedding. For that, it's two OM-4T
bodies. Both with MD2s attached. The 35-80 will live on one and the 24/2.8,
50/1.4 and 100/2 will swap out on the other. Portra 400 so rules. I'll
stick with identical settings in both cameras to keep error potential to a
minimum. The T45 will hold down on-camera flash duties in a mostly bounce
mode (with a touch of a front kicker). Studio flashes for the formals. My
typical setup there. I'll use a digital camera for a handful of shots for
exposure verification as well as safety on a few critical pictures. Oh, and
for use during some low-yield shooting during the dance and other odd-ball
activities that tend to waste film.

What fun. Film shooting is still more pleasurable to me. Nothing against
digital, but it still comes down to the fact that the OM system, in this
configuration remains an awesome setup. They are my "Leicas".

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx