Re: [OM] Godspeed, Neil Armstrong

Subject: Re: [OM] Godspeed, Neil Armstrong
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 22:04:02 -0500
I loved the scene in "Apollo 13" when Lovell communicated to Houston
that he wanted to try a different scenario for re-entry and all the
smart guys on the ground whipped out their slide rules to check out if
it would compute.  Lovell must have figured most of it out in his head.

I may have owned a slide rule once.  I could do multiplication and
division with it, but I only trusted it if I already knew the answer.
Advanced users told me that feeling never really went away.

Joel W.

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...