Re: [OM] EVF Rant (Was: For Ken: finally an E1 upgrade)

Subject: Re: [OM] EVF Rant (Was: For Ken: finally an E1 upgrade)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 22:34:46 +1200
Ken wrote

> I personally believe that the viewfinder experience is extremely important
> to those of us who do iterative composing. There are people who
> previsualize and are able to just use the viewfinder for framing. I'm not
> one of those. I compose on the viewfinder itself. That's why the OM system
> remains so important to me.

One of the important lessons I learned early on after my conversion to
35mm, was that I should make ALL the little negative 'count' ie be useful.
There is generally not enough real estate there to justify cropping as a
routine process.

Since the use of prime lenses requires the use of ones feet to change
perspective and composition (and there is not always the possibility to move
body and camera) I have long been a fan of zoom lenses - regardless of the
oft-repeated mantra that prime lenses ( one focal length) are always
sharper.
Accordingly, it is probably the Zuiko 35 ~ 105 of all my Zuiko lenses, which
got the most use after I discovered it and had its potential pointed out to me.
Before that it was an early 50/1.4, the only lens I had on my 2nd hand OM2..

The optical viewfinder was a highly important component in the process.

Oh; I forgot my Practica FX, which was stolen (1963) from my study in
college in the UK. I bought it in 1957 with a 50/2.8, then when on holiday in
Europe bought 2nd hand 35mm and 135 mm. I thought I was in camera
heaven..

Brian Swale