Re: [OM] Godspeed, Neil Armstrong

Subject: Re: [OM] Godspeed, Neil Armstrong
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 20:10:14 -0400 (EDT)
>>My TI-35+ is
> >>going on 30 years old, but it still works great and sits right next

Some calculators die hard.  I have read many still love the HP12C
financial calculator. I believe they are still sold and the relatively
expensive phone app emulators do well!  I still use my HP 11c and even
occasionally  my Ti SR52.  I recently bought replacement battery packs
for it and my Dad's HP45.  I was spoiled rotten as a kiddie as we often
had a giant 4 fxn calculator (forgot who made it) and could ck long
division on it just after I learned how.  This was pre LED's and had
weird neon tube thingies for the display and cost as much as a car.  My
Dad brought it home from work.

I have a meter?  long slide  rule at home and an odd spiral one that is
really cool.  I remember able to get 4 sig. figures at the low end on
it but didn't really need it for long in junior high or so as the SR10
or 11's were out.

Oh there are algorithms to keep tack of the "left digits" when using  a
Slide Rule.  I would use that after keeping track of the order of
magnitude in Sci notation first, IIRC.

"Rule for multiplication
If the rule is set with the slide protruding at the left-hand end of
the stock, the number of digits in the answer is the sum of the digits
of the factors. If the slide is protruding at the right-hand end, the
number of digits in the product is one less than the sum of the digits
of the factors.

Rule for division
If, when dividing, the slide protrudes at the left-hand end of the
stock, the number of digits in the result is found by subtracting the
number of digits in the divisor from the number in the dividend. If the
slide protrudes to the right the number of digits in the result will be
one greater that the difference between the numbers of digits in the
dividend and divisor respectively."

Any one else have a spiral slide rule? Mike