Re: [OM] Godspeed, Neil Armstrong

Subject: Re: [OM] Godspeed, Neil Armstrong
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <mark.marrlyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:57:17 -0600
On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 6:10 PM,  <usher99@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some calculators die hard.  I have read many still love the HP12C
> financial calculator. I believe they are still sold and the relatively

The HP15c was the scientific version and was also very popular but out
of production, though HP did sell a limited run of them a year or so
ago. I've got several old HPs which all still work, like the HP35 and
HP67 (with magnetic card reader), but I've always been partial to the
HP48, which HP has released the ROM for so emulators are freely
available.

> I was spoiled rotten as a kiddie as we often
> had a giant 4 fxn calculator (forgot who made it) and could ck long
> division on it just after I learned how.  This was pre LED's and had
> weird neon tube thingies for the display and cost as much as a car.

It probably used Nixie tubes. They have undergone something of a
revival, and people are making clocks from them again.

I've also got my dad's old slide rule, but haven't a clue how to use
it. Neither does my dad any more :)

Mark