Re: [OM] Wildlife winners

Subject: Re: [OM] Wildlife winners
From: Dean Hansen <hanse112@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 08:59:30 -0500
Tina recently posted a link to a bbc site of nature photography.
Inspiring shots!  (Thanks for the heads-up, Tina!)  The first shot is of
a group of cormorants trying to steal the prey from another bird.  This
is called "kleptoparasitism" in biology terminology, and it is not at
all unusual.  Unfair, maybe, but not unusual.  I have a shot of this
phenomenon, but in the insect world, at
<http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/Dean_Hansen/Aquaticinsects/?action=view&current=klepto.jpg>.
    Another striking shot in the bbc series is of two cheetahs looking
out on the African plains.  It is very similar to the cover photo on the
11 January, 2008, issue of Science, of two giraffes looking out on an
Acacia forest in Kenya.  I'll try to get a link to this Science
cover--it's stunning.
    If you haven't done so, take four minutes and view the show Tina
posted a link to:  <http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/19400162>
Dean