Re: [OM] Photos at Night

Subject: Re: [OM] Photos at Night
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:01:46 -0500
> Are these great photos?

Not to me. I think I must be in a bit of a cynical mood these days.
I've gotten really tired of the PJ street photography thing. After a
while, all of these photos look just alike. I'm sorry, but a homeless
person (or somebody fitting that genre) is not interesting to me. I've
seen far too many homeless people both personally and in pictures to
last a lifetime. It's like "what's the point you are making?" Instead
of feeling sorry for them with your $3000 camera, why not drop a few
bucks in their cup. Instead of buying another $3000 camera, why not
give that person the $3000 instead. Oh, wait. We want somebody ELSE to
do that. That's why we took the photograph in the first place.

The B&W overprocessed look is even more disgusting to me. What is the
subject? Obviously, it isn't the person or object being photographed.
I thought we were doing pretty well with getting B&W conversions toned
down when Lightroom opened up the floodgates of stupidity to the
masses. "Ooooh, Look Martha! Presets!!!!" (insert chorus of "Ooooooh"
from the yellow minions).

I looked through probably 20 of the images before losing interest.
Let's just pick the photo of the guy sleeping on the grass to be the
greatest Photojournalism picture of the year and be done with it,
already!

Yes, I need a vacation.

AG

--