Re: [OM] EVF Rant (Was: For Ken: finally an E1 upgrade)

Subject: Re: [OM] EVF Rant (Was: For Ken: finally an E1 upgrade)
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 23:40:09 +0200
Thanks for the reply, Boris. I think we're all on the same page here.
I have a very intimite relationship with my viewfinders. Especially with
my Mamiya RB67, I truly do spend a lot of time composing with the
finder. With my 35mm cameras, I large pre-visualise, but with that
camera - immersing myself in the viewfinder opens up my compositional
world. It's like a pair of goggles through which the world looks
different.

I've had many people looking through that viewfinder, and ask "wow, is
this a 3D camera?" It's clearly a 2D image they are looking at (making
the question rather silly) but the image projected is so vivid, large,
and "real", I guess that's the first thing that comes to mind.

4x5, and the inverted image, is another similar (and much larger) finder
experience, but I guess the difficulties of composing (camera operation)
hasn't made it as seamless and direct as the RB67 experience for me.

Everybody needs to find a tool they are intimately familiar with, and
which inspires their creativity. Good (large) optical finders have been
mind, and no EVF yet seen by me has come close.

have a great day,
Dawid