Re: [OM] Leica MM and M9 Comparison

Subject: Re: [OM] Leica MM and M9 Comparison
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 19:07:02 -0500
> I can definitely tell the difference in the raw files. I'm not sure what
> you can tell from small jpegs but here they are:

I'm seeing something in your MM images which is also happening in
other sample images I've looked at. There is a wider tonal separation
in Zones II-IV which contributes to a richness in the images. The ISO
10Billion samples you posted thinned out, but the ISO 320 images have
a better foot in the lower tones without blocking up or looking
contrived.

As to the BW conversions of the M9 photos, it's pretty much the same
deal with the M8 files. Both convert very well and are not what I
would consider to be doggy in this regard. But the MM images have a
distinctly something going on in the lower zones which I like.

I've seen enough to know that if I had the extra dosh, I'd spring for
one in a heartbeat.

Oops. I just ran a calculation on the square footage of my new
darkroom as a percentage of the total square footage of the house we
just bought. I just went past that MM by three grand and that doesn't
even include paint, ceiling, plumbing or electrical work.

Choices.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx