Re: [OM] OT: And You Thought Camera Equipment Was Pricey

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: And You Thought Camera Equipment Was Pricey
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 12:32:47 -0500
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012, at 09:01 AM, Chris Trask wrote:
>      I've been busily overhauling and restoring a couple of old road
>      bicycles this summer, a 1980 Peugeot Course and a 1984 Nishiki Gran
>      Tour 15.  Finding parts for these, especially the Peugeot, is a bit
>      of a challenge but the end result is satisfying.  Along the way I've
>      come to realize that the competition for older good quality bicycle
>      parts is at times more intense than it is for comparable camera
>      lenses, and this item is typical of what you'll encounter:
>
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLOY-CAGE-Campagnolo-Con-Denti-Pista-pedals-track-early-1959-1960-/120980087291?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2af9a1fb>

That seems comparable to $125 for an OM grip.

I have been doing much the same thing after upgrading my old Fuji Sports
10 for RAGBRAI and then acquiring a slightly newer Fuji Sagres 12-speed.
 Fortunately, I've been able to pick up a couple of things under the
radar.

The guy I bought the Sagres from is a picker in the area.  He's been
finding bikes here and there, cleaning out old ladies' garages, and he
attends auctions constantly.  He has a little bit of a different view of
what he's got than I do.  There was one bike he had with a nice frame,
but it had been in water and the whole drive train was a rusty mess.  I
looked at it and thought, "That's a pretty good frame."  He looked at it
and said, "I don't think I'm gonna be able to salvage that chain."

Joel W.

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html