Re: [OM] essex MA

Subject: Re: [OM] essex MA
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 14:22:22 -0700
On 9/9/2012 8:59 AM, Sawyer, Edward wrote:
> The Crane estate is definitely worth a visit if you are near there. Tons of
> good photo opportunities. I shot a pile of 4x5 and 6x12 there earlier this
> summer, and that was without even the castle being open for the season yet.

Agreed. The grounds are lovely. I shot my entry for the last TOPE there.
<http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=43&pic=8>

Hmmm, looks like I didn't post any other images yet. It'll have to wait, as we
are packing for our flight to Boston
tomorrow.

We went on the house tour a couple of years ago. As we waited, I argued a
little with the docents about the no
photography rule, pointing out the many other houses and museums that allow it.
As it turns out, it didn't really
matter. It's a nice enough house, really, but not all that impressive; it was
only their summer house. All the
furnishings were sold long ago, and the interior is rather barren, but for a
couple of bedrooms.

It's just not in the same league as great houses like Biltmore in Asheville,
San Simeon or the Isabella Stewart Gardner
museum in Boston. I enjoyed the grounds far more than the house.

Garden Spot Moose