Re: [OM] PPL: Two more in BW - Bob

Subject: Re: [OM] PPL: Two more in BW - Bob
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:09:10 -0500
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012, at 12:36 AM, Moose wrote:

> On 9/4/2012 5:52 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> > Nope. That's the snap with the guy in it. Like I said, it took about four
> > or five tries to get it looking right, but content-aware fill will rock
> > your world. <g>
>
> Oh yeah! Often magic, occasionally frustration. For me, it whacked the
> guy on the left in one try.
>
> So if the guy in the background takes away from the romantic feeling, how
> about the backpack? A backpack says Romance,
> right? :-)
>
> Content Aware Fill  couldn't quite handle that, but gave a head start.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Amard/PPL-Roma-BW-0469.htm>
>
> Now, what about the flip flop?

This conversation opens up the now classic conundrum of the "honesty" of
a PS-ed photo.  While I don't want to go there, I would like to protest
that the original is Just Fine as is.  It captures wonderfully something
real.  An elegant woman stooping to kiss a guy in flipflops is something
that "updates" traditional representations of romance.  One only needs
to check out kids at a senior prom to see that.  You guys seem to want
to make the photo look like it was taken in 1947.  Why? ;^)

On CA fill -- I want to experiment with "over-selecting" the element I
want removed to see if it does a more complete job.  Not that I ever
remove things like backpacks and stuff. :)

I removed whole human beings from the background of this one with CA
fill:

http://jfwilcox.jalbum.net/Rachel's%20Prom/#P5054816w.jpg

Which is why I'm not eager to open up a debate about Photoshop ...

Joel (he who is without sin -- not) W.