[OM] Infidel cell carriers and getting one up'd by the wife

Subject: [OM] Infidel cell carriers and getting one up'd by the wife
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 16:05:17 -0500
Sprint, without any notice terminated my wife's cellphone for
excessive roaming. We got one warning over six months ago so she
changed her habits a bit and with no further notices and nothing to
warn us, this morning they terminated her phone.

Not good.

Yes, this is Sprint, the 3rd largest US cellphone carrier. The
purveyors of 3rd rate service and complete disregard to their
customers. You would think that a follow up warning, an alert or a
courtesy message on the invoice or SOMETHING would have been nice. But
nooooooo. nada.

Sprint, you really stink!

Unfortunately, were we live has absolutely no native coverage by any
of the major nationwide carriers so our choices are US Cellular or
some local yocal POS carrier. US Cellular it is, then. A short time
later, she walks out with one of Samsung's latest/greatest LTE
smartphones with a screen the size of Buckingham Palace and a price to
match.

Thank you Sprint. Due to the prices involved, we'll keep our other
three phones on the Sprint network until they chop us off too. But in
the meantime, I don't feel at all bad about doing a little bit more
roaming abuse myself. I was trying to be good in order to counter
balance her usage, but that didn't matter since it was phone based. No
problem, I can whip up my usage to the maximum easily enough. Let's
see how many movies I can download in a month on this "unlimited
plan". Besides, my Sprint phones work better than the US Cellular
phones where I'm at five days a week.

Excuse me, just venting.

But in the meantime, she now has a phone with tethering, LTE, and gobs
of other nifty features that makes our one year old phones look almost
primitive. Fortunately, the cost is able to be offset by the fact that
she can now write off the entire cost of the phone and contract on the
taxes because it's tied entirely to her work. When it's part of a
"family plan", it's much harder to cost allocate for taxes without
triggering all sorts of flags. As to the LTE, tethering and other
features? Will she use them? Well, that 5GB cap will probably be
stretched to the edge every month--especially with tethering. She
wears out her phones.

Nothing offsets pure disappointment like a "new shiny".

AG