Re: [OM] Infidel cell carriers and getting one up'd by the wife

Subject: Re: [OM] Infidel cell carriers and getting one up'd by the wife
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 12:47:48 -0700
Having just been in Kenya, once again I am amazed at the sorry state of US
cellular coverage. Folks with GSM phones were able to easily 1) buy a
pre-paid SIM card to temporarily switch service to local service and 2) get
full coverage even miles out in the bush, because cell towers are
ubiquitous. Our Verizon CDMA phones were totally useless, although in this
area, they're the only thing to have as AT&T coverage is terrible. Thanks
to the US Congress having mandated the terms of the so-called "competition"
between cellular transmission vendors, we here in the USA are left with
crap coverage. In large metro areas, there are twice as many towers as
required, thanks to two incompatible transmission methods, and in rural
areas, no company wants to spend the money to build out coverage for what
they deem too little return.

---
Scott