Re: [OM] Interesting micro 4/3 lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Interesting micro 4/3 lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:36:25 -0400
On 9/25/2012 2:39 AM, Dawid Loubser wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-09-24 at 22:46 -0400, Moose wrote:
>> My problem was that the vast majority of photographers will understand
>> unmodified comments about f-stops to refer to
>> lens 'speed', and that's how I understood your comment.
> That is however not what my comment said - I believe it was completely
> unambiguous :-)

Well, I've gone back and looked, and you are correct. In my travel addled
state, I misread it.

> You guys are just too used to bashing from 35mm enthusiasts.

Not sure what you mean here. I've only recently acquired my first µ4/3 gear,
and have never had any 4/3 gear. My
experience with the E-M5 agrees with dpreview and DxO. It is fully competitive
with APS-C and gives away very little to
FF. I've got all three, and use what I am using through choice.

If there are FF people bashing me for the E-M5, I'm not aware of it. The E-PL1
that I got for $0.05 as backup camera
might deserve it. It's is not a bad camera in IQ, but certainly well short of
the E-M5, 60D and 5D.

> Since both are miniature formats to me, I happily use them
> both when required, and have no personal issues about them. Facts are
> facts.
>
>> Even on an MF digital sensor? Isn't even generally true on the 5D, in my
>> experience. Did you not mean to refer to sensor
>> size, rather than film vs. digital?
> I don't believe there is a rectangular sensor array on the market
> anymore that is of such low resolution to render higher quality images
> at f/16 than, say, at f/11, unless your lens *really* sucks.
>
> I stand by my statements 100%.

I'm on the road, traveling to beautiful places and taking many images a day,
and will be for almost three more weeks. I
don't have the time, nor access to the images, to argue with you with examples.
My experience with the 5D with many
images taken at both apertures, is that f11 and f16 were essentially
equivalent, for my subjects and style. Any loss of
focal plane detail, which I almost never could see at 100% on a 22" screen, was
offset by gain in DOF.

Given your style, I'm surprised that you have ever shot at f11, let alone f16.
;-) But seriously, in most of my
photography, I am forever looking for more DOF, so I have often shot at  both
f11 and f16, and sometimes also f8 and/or
f22. At f22, things do really go downhill.

Perhaps we can agree to disagree, and go on taking the images we love with the
equipment we like, in the way we prefer.

Conciliatory Moose