Re: [OM] Thoughts on Film

Subject: Re: [OM] Thoughts on Film
From: Dawid Loubser <dawid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 22:25:18 +0200
 Tue, 2012-09-25 at 13:26 -0500, Ken Norton wrote:
> At issue, for me, was the fighting of dual formats. I shot both color and
> B&W and did so about equally. This creates not only a working tension, but
> also brings in greater logistical issues. Had I been a little more aware of
> my mental battles during the shoot, I would have adopted some changes. But
> the time was so short that I really didn't have much time to figure out
> what was happening and how to correct it. Due to my tight schedule, we only
> had two full days of shooting together, plus Monday afternoon and Thursday
> morning. Between the heavy rains and the fire, our time with cameras on
> tripods really wasn't that much. Joel had a couple more days than me, so he
> wasn't as rushed as I was.

You made life complex for youself by trying to do both. On my last real
trip (last year) things were much simpler, using but a single kind of
monochrome film. It really freed up my vision. Personally, the Olympus
digital seriously clouds my vision, it has to really fight to come out.
I get more keepers on a roll of 10 6x7cm negatives than I do with every
50 digital images, despite my best efforts to apply the same amount of
consideration. Must be the viewfinder :-)

> The advantages of
> today's digital cameras outweigh almost all film technology. But that's
> regarding the "tangible". The intangibles are another story, though. I shot
> in ways that I do not shoot with digital.

For colour work, yes. For monochrome, I strongly disagree. Digital has
simply not moved one bit closer to the same tonal rendering or
non-linear capture, not to mention the dynamic range. The only place
it's caught up with is resolution ("detail"). I now shoot quite a bit of
both formats, and the differences are more vivid than ever.

Both are to be enjoyed - they do not compete at all.

> I am greatly tempted to buy a set of B&W filters that fit the 35-80/2.8
> zoom. I think I could live very comfortably with just that lens for the
> vast majority of photographs.

That's a great idea. I've also been meaning to get one excellent,
complete set of filters. Mamiya makes it easy, all lenses from 50mm wide
angle to 360mm tele use the same 77mm filters :-)