Re: [OM] TOP - DxO Gives OM-D High Marks

Subject: Re: [OM] TOP - DxO Gives OM-D High Marks
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 14:00:13 -0500
> Extreme Bullshit Alert! Extreme Bullshit Alert!
> I thought by now you were getting over these extreme generalizations so
> lightly tethered to reality there really is no tether at all.

Tethered to reality? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Thank you for making
my day. Trust me, any appearance of tethered-reality in my life is
simply an illusion. I've been denying reality since at least two years
old.

Seriously, you will note that I followed that comment up with not only
a smiley, but then stated that I can "'hack' with the best of them and
usually do".

However, my extreme generalization isn't too far off. Let me quote the
ENTIRE paragraph: "I'm convinced that most photographers shy away from
handheld meters mostly because it's another thing to learn and
perfect. It has nothing to do with superior working methods or
whatever (I can chimp, chimp is my friend). If a person REALLY cares
about exact exposure determination, especially in a flash or mixed
lighting environment they would almost certainly be using a
spot/ambient/flash meter. But the attitude of knowing that you can fix
things in raw conversion or in post-processing promotes most
photographers to the category of 'hack' when in the field."

The first part of the paragraph is likely very accurate. I could hand
a nice Sekonic to many of us and the reaction will vary from pure
horror to "what would I use it for?" The fact that the usage must be
explained is proof of that part of my statement. I was actually being
quite gentle with the "learn and perfect" statement.

The second part delves into flash and mixed lighting. It is a very
small percentage of photographers that know how to control flash,
especially multiple flashes. It is even a smaller percentage of
photographers that know how to blend flash lighting in with ambient.
This is why "The Strobist" website has gotten so popular. If we took
away the ability to chimp AND the exposure automation, how many
photographers would be able to get the goods? Almost none. So, what we
have is a leaning on chimping and automation as well as adjustments in
raw conversion and post-processing to save our rumps. Excuse the
extreme generalization, but yes, this is being a "hack" because we
succeed not through knowing what we are doing, but because we've got
enough safety nets to save the shots.

I'm using the term "Hack" with the following definition: "Slang To
cope with successfully; manage.

Sounds like even in my altered state of reality, my "hack"
generalization may still be quite appropriate.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx