[OM] OT: Romania and Bulgaria

Subject: [OM] OT: Romania and Bulgaria
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:49:10 +0100
I'm not sure if Boris is listening, but we had a great holiday in Bulgaria a
couple of weeks ago.

We flew BA into Bucharest, staying there a couple of nights before taking the
train to Rousse on the Danube in Bulgaria.  There we hired a car, a beaten-up
old Alfa 146, to visit my brother and his partner near Popovo.  After a couple
of days we drove to Arbanassi and stayed in the Arbanaski Han for 5 days,
visiting several places in the area before retracing our steps over 5 days or
so.  Bulgaria is a poor but very friendly place.  We stayed in an organic farm
(Wild Thyme Organic Farm, near Popovo) for several, enjoyable days; there I
took this photo on an early morning walk:

http://smu.gs/QNlPwj

Much of rural Bulgaria (and Romania, I suppose) looks like that; the roads are
pretty messy in many places and horse-drawn carts the most practical conveyance
for short journeys.

We visited the site of a heroic series of battles, Shipka Pass, walking up
hundreds of steps to the monument:

http://smu.gs/QNp1YP

There are plenty more shots, if anyone is interested . . .

Chris