Re: [OM] [OT] drugs industry

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] drugs industry
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:30:31 -0400
 From first hand experience I can attest that cholesterol is reduced by
statin drugs.  I also believe that they *probably* reduce the chance of
having a *second* heart attack.  But the method of operation is not from
the reduction of cholesterol which is just an innocent bystander.  They
probably work by virtue of having a slight anti-imflammatory effect.
Something you can get more effectively and cheaply from aspirin and/or
fish oil.

But they don't reduce cardiac risk for other than middle aged men.  No
effect at all on risk for women of any age.  Increased risk of total
mortality for seniors.  You can find this stuff in some of the research
papers but only buried in the data.  Never in the abstract unless it
comes from the geriatric center at the University of California, San
Diego.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt