Re: [OM] Abandoned house on airport expressway #8

Subject: Re: [OM] Abandoned house on airport expressway #8
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 19:34:13 -0400
My house was built in 1958 and has real plaster ceilings and walls.  The
finish is what's called "sanded plaster".  There is course sand mixed
into the plaster and the plaster is applied in large, random swirls
which makes a less obvious texture than the "fish scale" pattern we saw.
  I had a lot of remodeling done before we moved into this house in 2007
and wherever an entire wall was changed (extensive remodeling of the
master bath and kitchen, for example) we tore out the plaster and
replaced it with smooth sheet rock.  But when I enlarged the entrance to
the kitchen from the dining room I had sheet rock in the kitchen and
sanded plaster in the dining room.  The dining room wall was only being
slightly modified so I had to find a repair person familiar with sanded
plaster.

Fortunately, there are lots of Italians around here dating back to the
1920s and lots of tile guys and plaster masons.  My Italian tile guy
(Gino Roma Jr) says "Hey, my dad (Gino Roma Sr.) is an old-school
plaster guy."  I hired both and now have excellent tile work and my
dining room wall at the entrance to the kitchen looks like it was
originally built that way.  It was interesting to watch the repair
process and matching the finish which took a fair amount of time.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt