Re: [OM] Ansel Adams exhibit [was IMG: Mono Lake Sunrise]

Subject: Re: [OM] Ansel Adams exhibit [was IMG: Mono Lake Sunrise]
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 00:46:34 +1300
Chris Barker wrote

> I agree.  We saw an exhibition in the Festival Hall (I think), in London
> around 10 years ago.  Seeing the famous images was exciting.

The exhibition came to Christchurch about ?? 5 years ago, and yes, I was
excited to see Ansel's famous prints in the flesh.

But I came away with the firm conviction that the identical images in his
book (which I have), are much better.  Heresy?  I don't know. That's what I
thought.

So I thought and still think I am fortunate to have a copy of the book.

Actually, I have several of his books; most of them, I suspect.

What surprises me is the small range of his images that make it into print.
For a photographer of his stature, I would expect ten or more times that
many prints to show up in photo books.

I'd be interested to see some of his advertising photography work too, but I
guess that will never happen.

Brian Swale