Re: [OM] A Post About Something; Was: A Post About Nothing

Subject: Re: [OM] A Post About Something; Was: A Post About Nothing
From: "John A. Lind" <j-a-lind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 03:48:37 -0400
On 10/1/2012 8:12 PM, Mike wrote:
> So proper SCA foot can be used on NEX but not OM-D????? It is nice
> that the FL/ISO/aperture is reported to the cam though they can be
> entered manually into the Metz MZ3/4. I do have an OM foot of course.
> Perhaps full frame NEX will appear in 2013. I was impressed with
> Moose's OM-D though he had a tad of trouble with the function buttons
> engaging Mag view when using OM lenses. The OM Zuiko 50 F2 macro
> behaved nicely on the OM-D. I wonder if the many internal baffles
> reduced the veiling flare even with WA lenses as was prominently seen
> with the early MFT pens? Almost smitten, Mike
Just checked the Metz site for the OM-D and got a "module under
development" response from their SCA module number utility! That was a
bit of a surprise. The original OM system used the SCA 321 (I have more
than a few of those . . . none for sale though) but the 3-pin OM went by
the wayside with their first digitals with hot shoes. The Olympus
digitals use the 3202 module, including the digital PEN. Must be
something different enough about the OM-D that the current version of
the 3202 m7, doesn't work. The NEX-7 has the proprietary Minolta hot
shoe (non-ISO type) and takes the SCA 3302 m9 module (m8 works with
their older flash heads). Had a SCA 3000C m1 cord stashed away for
future use and can use it with my 60 CT-4  in TTL mode. I've got a few
SCA 3002 series shoe mount flashes laying around and the module will
also work with them. They have additional functions beyond TTL control
that the 60 CT-4 cannot perform.

For those that haven't seen one, the Metz 60 CT-4 is the Mother of All
Potato Masher Flashes with a good sized battery slab on a shoulder strap
(or belt) to power it.
http://i-shoot.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-nikon-f3-with-metz-60ct-4.html
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5365/img9412a.jpg
The "4" was their SCA 300 with Manual, Auto and TTL, although one can
use it with SCA3000 and SCA3002 series modules using an SCA3000
[A,C,Cm1] cord, albeit without some of the fancier flash functions. Has
a true GN of 200ft @ ISO 100. That's the same as a blue P25 flash bulb
in a 5" polished bowl reflector, like my father used with his Argus C3.
For those old enough to remember a half minute of seeing colored spots
in their eyes after one of those went off, that kind of flash power was
required for the K-25 and K-64 being used in their day. The red-eye
reduction method was taking a second shot as quickly as one could wind
on to the next frame (using a knob) and change the flash bulb without
lighting tissues in the trash can on fire (ash trays were the preferred
receptacle)! A 60 CT-x can light up the entire block party at night if
you can disperse the light sufficiently. The reason for such overkill is
maintaining instant flash ready for second, third, fourth, . . . X shots
in rapid succession if needed, albeit after about 10 it's advisable to
let the xenon tube cool down some. Also comes in handy to shoot 30 feet
across a fair-sized ballroom with vaulted ceiling using a longer lens,
and still get enough light for that grab shot you cannot get closer too
fast enough. After a few hundred frames one can go on to the next event
and shoot a few hundred more without changing the battery. Only other
potato masher I've seen with a 200 GN (ISO 100 in feet) was the Sunpak
622, a fairly hardy poor-man's 60 CT, but not quite the design and build
quality of a Metz.

John