Re: [OM] TOP - DxO Gives OM-D High Marks

Subject: Re: [OM] TOP - DxO Gives OM-D High Marks
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 18:32:57 -0500
> I'm sure you are prepared to explain yourself...

I don't think I can explain myself. Explain the situation? Sure.
Myself? Not so easy. Some of us don't fit into tidy categories.

> Any suggestions?  I'm surprised this didn't come up in and around your
> arias about Paul Ryan over burgers.

See, there you go again. Go ahead, pick on me. Here I am actually like
Paul Ryan even though I'm a registered Greenie. It doesn't get much
more confusing that that. See above paragraph.

But you did ask a very valid question. One of which I have a an
answer. Of course, when do I NOT have an answer of some form? Of
course, half the answers are dross...

We were shooting B&W film this trip. Each type of film has a
distinctly different spectral response curve. This is why many people
swear by Tri-X for people pictures, but TMAX for non-people pictures.
Some films have a strong green response, others have a significant dip
there. Others are pretty flat across the spectrum, while others bump
up the yellows.

So, we're outdoors shooting midday and what do we do? We throw a
yellow filter on the lens. Why? Because we prefer an altered spectral
response for daylight white-balance than the film normally would give.
Most B&W films have the spectral response curve to provide more normal
contrasting and response under indoor lighting. When we go outdoors in
the middle of the day, the film is too blue sensitive. We are applying
a spectral response offset through the use of a lens filter.

I was shooting Velvia and some Provia on this trip. To warm some of
the images up, what did I do? I put a very light warming filter on the
lens. Without it, I would have to correct the color cast during or
after the scanning process. ANY adjustments you do at this point will
result in the effective loss of dynamic range or an increase in noise.
And given the tight exposure range that Velvia gives, we're better off
if we can use lens filters to get as much of the colors fitting within
the range as possible.

AG

--
Ken Norton