[OM] That Sinking Feeling

Subject: [OM] That Sinking Feeling
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 09:14:50 -0500
I think I know my own answer, but thought that I'd tap into the
"collective" here and get a second opinion.

We've been given countertops and sinks. These are only two years old
and are being removed from the suites in a "Comfort Inn and Suites".
So, they are in super condition and the coloring is EXACTLY a match to
the wall paints in the darkroom. (blue and tan).

Here is the situation. The space where I will be placing the sink has
a linear wall length of 8 feet. The counters with sinks (these are
single-basin rectangleish, stainless-steel, kitchen style sinks). I've
got these counter tops in two sizes. The short ones are 4' 3" in
length, the longer one is 6' 1". I have them in right-hand or
left-hand configuration.

The easiest thing to do would be to just use the 6'1" countertop and
have a single sink. The harder thing to do would be to trim one of the
short ones several inches and butt two of them end-to-end and have an
8' counter.

I'm thinking that there would be significant advantages to having two
sinks. But that would increase my cost because of more cabinetry and
plumbing. The actual usable counter space will remain the same because
the extra length is effectively taken up with the second sink.

Note, either way, this is far more and better than what I was planning
on doing. The two-foot of counter variance won't do anything for me in
trays, because I've got 14 feet of work surface elsewhere for
enlargers and trays. And I'll also be adding one more skinny table in
there.

Another thought I did have was placing a second sink in the 6-foot
counter, but that's going to be as much work as doing the two
4-footers together.

So...

Option 1: Two sinks, 8 foot in length
Option 2: One sink, 6 foot in length