Re: [OM] Need car buying advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need car buying advice
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 08:13:13 -0700 (PDT)
No, this is not a secret, John.

I decided to go with a 2012 Suzuki SX4 Crossover.  I dont really know why they
call it that, as it is just a hatchback.

If you care why this is my choice, read on:

1.  Reliability.  The car has been around for a while and its reliability is
bulletproof.  It used to come with 3yr/36k powertrain warranty, starting this
year, it is upped to 7yr100K

2. Price.  I do not want to spend much money on a car.  Yes, I do realize that
Suzuki isnt a manufacturer of status symbol cars.

3. Best AWD in "Crossover/Small SUV" class.  You can actually lock the
differential and also has ESP.  I test drove one and it feels like it is glued
to the road.  The only other vehicle I have ever driven with suspension tuned
like this was the Subaru WRC.

4. I grew up across the pond, we love our hatchbacks.  This one is very, very
pretty.  I honestly dont know which one looks better-my VW Mk3 or the Suzuki.

5. I always wanted to have a car, instead of SUV.  For many years, the VW was
my DD and also camping car.  That took a toll on it and I had to repair
suspension several times.  With this, at least I have the car, but can also
take it everywhere I need to without worrying that something will break.
Besides, something worse than that (in terms of trail difficulty), I'd rather
hike.  I sit all day at work and feel underexcercised. I don't need the
off-road capabilities my Jeep offers.  There is a fantastic video on youtube
that shows the trailhandling capabilities of the Suzuki.

6.  For first time in my life I get to own a brand new car...:)

I really had a hard time finding vehicle I like, because my family imposed the
requirement that "...it has to be the travel car..." and they assumed an SUV.
I (with their help of course...:) considered many vehicles, including used
Honda Element, CRV, Mazda CX5, Mitsubishi Outlander and VW Tiguan. All of us
admitted that the latter is the prettiest SUV on the road, but dismissed it,
because of the reliability.  They were ok with the rest of the choices, but I
was not...Warranty and then, looks...I have to tell you something about the
Jeep Cherokee I own:

Throughout the years, I modified it in terms of style and performance.  None of
the mods added to its off-road capability though.  When I walk around the
parking lots during lunch break, I always look for its replacement and really,
don't see a prettier vehicle, with the exception of the Tiguan.  Thats how good
it looks now.  My son really wants it and it stays in the family, which is
good, because I dont want to part with it, but cant justify having an
off-roader (read gas guzzler) like this.  It used to be employed for various
environmental activities, but ever since I changed jobs couple of years ago, it
has done nothing to save the planet.

Best

Boris

From:   John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Sat, 13 Oct 2012 19:59:35 -0300

Boris ........ don't be shy. Tell us all what you finally decided upon.

jh