Re: [OM] IMG: Visitor from the Forties

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Visitor from the Forties
From: "Bill Pearce" <billcpearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:04:43 -0500
The Cessna 195 (and 190) were very unusual for the time, as both had a fill
cantilever wing, with no struts for support. The goal was to reduce drag
from the struts, but they soon abandoned that plan. Probably found that the
drag from the strut was less than the penalty of the additional weight of
the heavier wing spar.

There is an often reproduced photo of the first Cessna with a full
cantilever wing, where workers from the shop were standing shoulder to
shoulder, front to back over the entire wing, supposedly  showing the
strength. I'm betting people weighed less in those days.