Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 48, Issue 21

Subject: Re: [OM] olympus Digest, Vol 48, Issue 21
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 03:47:07 -0700
> From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Thom's
> analysis is absolutely correct, but it isn't the only factor.
> Transportation is an equally important factor. With good
> transportation, locating the civilization near the power source... is
> not necessary.

And yet you've surely come across the work of HT Odum in your research, who
shows that transportation is a function of energy. Indeed, all societal
complexity (such as transportation) is itself a function of energy. Take away
the energy, you take away cars, trucks, trains, and busses -- as well as
thirteen levels of bureaucracy, from dog catchers to building inspectors.

> The modern communications system is just another form of transportation.

And as such, it's another manifestation of energy, no?

I've seen some sources that claim upwards of 10% of our current electrical use
go into supporting communications infrastructure. The huge server farms that
power the likes of Faceplant and Google, as well as all the big air-conditioned
rooms full of the routers that stitch the very Internet together -- all crumble
and die without cheap energy.

:::: So much sadness exists in the world that we are all under obligation to
contribute as much joy as lies within our powers. -- John Sutherland Bonnell