Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 12:27:52 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > >     Current GFS charts show that hurricane Sandy is going to merge
> > > with a winter storm system that's presently passing through the
> > > western intermountain region.  By Tuesday or Wednesday the remnants
> > > of Sandy will be forced NNW by a high pressure system over Nova
> > > Scotia.  I would expect hevy rain and substantial flooding to take
> > > place in New England and the Mid-Atlantic states, and quite likely
> > > Quebec, Ontario, and the maritime provinces.
> >

> > We are already getting warnings here on the coast of Maine about really
> > fun weather Monday into Tuesday. Haven't had a good nor'easter in a
> > while. Sigh.
> >
> > Perhaps some good photo ops?
> >

>     NWS is headlining the potential for heavy rain, etc. even on the
> local forecasts down here in Arizona.  NOAA/NHC also shows a left turn
> in the track of Sandy which is getting tighter with each forecast
> update.  The 1100 EDT forecast shows Sandy as making landfall on the
> Jersey coast as a strong tropical storm.  The previous plot (0800 EDT)
> had landfall towards the east end of Long Island.  This is a significant
> change.

     The NOAA/NHC 1400 EDT plot shows that landfall will take place early
Tuesday along the Jersey shore.  Forecsters are describing this as a "perfect
storm" and it has been nicknamed "Frankenstorm".  The "perfect storm" status is
due to the tropical storm colliding with the cold front, but does not make
mention of the large zone of high pressure to the east that is forcing the two
to merge.

Chris