Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:40:53 -0400
Fastest shutter speed you can handle.

That, and frequently when the storm actually is raging, it's so difficult to
differentiate surf from sky from rocks that I don't bother to shoot more than a
few frames. What I look for is calmer air a day or so before the storm, or for
a few days after the storm, when the water is still rocking and rolling, but
the air has calmed down, and the rain and snow aren't coming in sideways. When
I'm out shooting in snow storms, I try to shoot hand-held, which is
counter-intuitive, but seems to work better for me than hanging the camera out
there on a tripod. You can do a lot of shielding when hand holding that's
harder to do on a tripod. I suppose a monopod might actually be the ticket.
Have to give that a try sometime.

--Bob