Re: [OM] IMG: Long-Tailed Skipper Butterfly (Not a Moth)

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Long-Tailed Skipper Butterfly (Not a Moth)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 22:32:02 -0700
On 10/27/2012 6:44 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Nice capture and good job with the ID.  Many skippers are inscrutable
> to ID though Sharon in the MA chapter of NABA is amazing.
> I'll take 6 shots study them for 30min at high mag and confirm what she
> said with her binoc's in the field after 30 sec.

Are you perhaps making the same mistake I tend to make with birds - looking
only for markings?

The way they move/fly, the way they hold their wings, size, and so on, can make
a good ID for someone who learns those
characteristics. Unfortunately, your prey aren't vocal. :-)

I've IDed a Northern Harrier based wholly on the way it's wings are held and
the way it flies and hunts, absolutely
unique for a hawk that size on this continent. I was driving by on a freeway as
we passed it hunting in an adjacent
field. No way at all to see visual body details.

I IDed a quite distant Kestrel in the White Mountains this year based on size,
configuration and hunting behavior. Even
with good 8x binoculars, markings weren't visible. Later,100% view of a 300mm
(600 eq) shot confirmed it.

Once you've seen a White Tailed Kite hovering while hunting, it's easy to ID at
considerable distance. The description
in Wikipedia and elsewhere of markings, body configuration, etc. aren't needed
if it's seen hunting. Red Tails are
generally easy, too, but show me a smaller, medium sized hawk around here, and
I'll have no idea if it's a Coopers,
Sharp Shinned or Red Shouldered. One glimpse of a Dark Eyed Junco flying away
gives an instant ID.

Birds also have distinctive ways of moving and feeding on the ground, moving on
trees, etc.

I imagine there are similar characteristics for butterflies.

I'm a complete tyro at this, but there are people who are wizard at it.

Flying Moose