Re: [OM] OT: Storm Loss

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Storm Loss
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:41:03 -0500
>      Seems now that not all crew members have been rescued.

I've seen and been on that ship a few times (in port). A cool boat,
but definitely a working boat. I'm interested in the story as to why
they were out there. I suspect that the crew made a fateful decision
to not place a little bit of storm sail up and instead tried to just
motor on as though it was just a powered displacement hull.
Unfortunately, it would be too underpowered to overcome the stresses
on the keel and rudder. It doesn't take a whole lot to bust that
rudder. Once you lose the rudder on a keeled boat in those wind and
wave conditions, you will turn religious in a hurry. Putting up a
little bit of storm sail will help keep the boat pointed in the right
direction and also prevents a lot of the severe rolling motions which
will snap the rudder or cause hull separation around the keel.

Last I saw, they think the last person or two is in another life raft.
I pray that's the case.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx