Re: [OM] (OM) OT Food

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Food
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 09:29:32 -0000
I sought Nigella's views, and here is what she said:

"As someone who can be suckered into buying any kitchen appliance, it is
interesting how few I feel are actually worth buying. There is, however, a
piece of equipment which, before I'd used one, I'd assumed might be another
wasteful extravagance, but now wouldn't be without: an electric rice
cooker."

So there you have it, Nigella follows the Moose way!

If you are interested, or need further convinction, she went on:

"It isn't a coincidence that all rice-eating cultures have a version: these
things, which range from basic to luxury, really do work. I wouldn't bother
getting one, however, that didn't have a keep-warm facility as well as the
usual steaming function. I cannot tell you how much easier it makes your
life when you can come home, pour rice and water into the cooker, flick on a
switch and just walk away without having to think about it again. And this
makes a difference across the board: from feeding children to giving dinner
parties. I promise you, it's so much better to club together with friends or
colleagues to give someone who's just had a baby one of these than any sort
of baby equipment. After my first child, I ate nothing but cheese and
chocolate; after my second, and post-rice cooker, I managed to eat a little
more healthily. And when my children were small, I'd put the rice cooker on
before going out, and know that I could spend a few hours at the ball-pond,
swimming pool, park, museum or wherever and come back knowing supper was
more or less on the table. All you need to add is some corn niblets or
shredded chicken or grated carrots and you're done. And now, when I'm tired
and know supper has to be cooked, I click on the rice cooker and am happy in
the knowledge that not a potato needs to be peeled and there is one less pot
on the stove or in the oven to keep an eye on. Similarly, leftovers can be -
as the mantra of this book has it - made right, by that familiar, reassuring
click of a switch."

Piers