Re: [OM] SANDY SPARED US

Subject: Re: [OM] SANDY SPARED US
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 14:33:04 -0500
> There is also no comparison in the fidelity. I can
> recognize voices on the land line. On the cell I have to ask even my
> mother "Who is this?"

Not for long. The trend is to replace the old digital switches with
VoIP switches. THAT is a whole different kettle of fish. We hate them,
but love them. For just what the maintenance contract and software
upgrades cost, our ROI is about two years. Add to that the reduced
footprint (power and space) and other intangibles, we're way under two
years. One box, the size of a microwave oven, replaces about 40 feet
of floor-ceiling racks of equipment. We recover enough power/cooling
capacity to be able to add a couple of racks full of new technology.
Not to suggest that these microwave oven sized boxes don't draw much
power--you can heat a decent-sized building from just one of them. But
we're probably seeing somewhere around 75% power consumption relief.
Unfortunately, one CISCO or A-L router will soak that 75% right back
up. 10Gb and 100Gb technologies require massive amounts of power.

It's not that the VoIP switches are inherently evil, but we are
consolidating things so much more with longer and longer feeds (what
used to be in your town is now multiple states away) and the
technology itself has some serious latency built in. Pretty much
EXACTLY like your cell-phone in that regard.
--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx