Re: [OM] Thinking of taking the plunge....

Subject: Re: [OM] Thinking of taking the plunge....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 21:49:02 -0700
On 10/31/2012 7:31 PM, Sandy Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Moose<olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>
>> ... Oly can't simple port their previous optical designs from their many 4/3
>> lenses
>> to µ4/3.  OTOH, their µ4/3 lenses are excellent optically, while remaining
>> small and light. Part of the reason is, of
>> course, that most so far aren't fast.
> There are adapters to use almost any lens from 35 mm systems on micro 4/3.
> The OP can use his Zuikos from OM or 4/3, or find any brand of fast 50 to get
> a fast 100 equivalent on m4/3. Or a fast 85 or 105 for a longer tele.

Yes indeed. I have the Oly OM to µ4/3 adapter*, and it has worked beautifully
so far with 50/1.4 and 200/5. I posted
before a couple of shallow DOF images with 50/1.4 and Oly adapter.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2012/Massachussetts/Hamilton&image=_9302444web.jpg>
And
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2012/Massachussetts/Hamilton&image=_9302446oof.jpg>

> Also, there are some very fast m4/3 lenses from Cosina/Voigtlander.
> Equivalent to 35 and 50 F.95
> http://www.cameraquest.com/voigt_m43_17.htm
> No long ones yet, though.

One big caveat for all of these options. As I discussed in my last post, all
are purely MF, which will well suit some,
be mildly inconvenient for some and be anathema to others.

Shooting one of Marnie's buckets as still life with tripod and live view is a
joy. Shooting their cat with it would be
impossible - except perhaps for a blurred abstract. AF is the ticket with
Othello.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2012/Massachussetts/Hamilton&image=_9292310croofm.jpg>

Note the ISO. This is a very black cat, and thus hard to make a good image of.
I hope this properly mixes detail with
darkness.

Adaptable Moose

* I don't understand Oly's strategy with much of their pricing/marketing. This
adapter is a case in point. It's
basically a nicely made extension tube, with no connections between lens and
body. US marketers like Fotodiox are
selling them for $20-25. I could understand $50 for OEM mount quality, maybe
even $75. But - they want $170 for it.
Fotodiox only wants $120 for their Pro Shift adapter.

Then Oly offers a promo to get the adapter free with a body/lens buy. I went
for it, spent $165 for the adapter at B&H,
sent the invoice in with the rebate form - and they sent me a check for $5 more
than I spent! (The $100 lens rebate
arrived not as a check, but a VISA preloaded card.)