Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 10:24:11 +0100
I asked about flooding when we moved to our new offices and against my
recommendations it was decided to place the servers in the basement, we
have two levels of basement and we are near a river although lower
basement is around 30 m above it and we are on a slope so it was not
deemed a risk, they mounted the server room in  the basement and the UPS
in the lower basement.

Due to budgets and miscalculations, soon after we moved the servers  we
found we needed more cooling units, it then became apparent the project
manager had halved the cooling capacity of the new units without telling
me, anyway so now they had to drill through the machine room wall  to
install extra units, they checked for cabling with one of those fancy
gadgets and finding no wires drilled happily away.

Upon peering through the newly drilled hole it was seen that a large
plastic water pipe had been drilled - fortunately not through enough for
it to leak but a good 1mm was missing - so that time the murphy god was
smiling on us but it just goes to show any change is a risk however trivial!

IanW